This past week I wanted to make a recipe that has been sitting on my Pinterest board for a good while – Spicy Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup. The only problem is that you can’t really find spicy sausage here. Time to improvise! It is extra nice to have since the temperature has dropped to 5 degrees – a cold day in Ireland.
Spicy Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup
- 500 g. chorizo style pork sausage, removed from sausage skin
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic (maybe more?), roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 big bunch of kale, washed, rough bit in the middle removed and chopped
- 3 potatoes, chopped
- 1.5 liters chicken stock
Fry up sausage and paprika until cooked through. Remove from the pot and set aside. Melt the butter in the pot and saute the onion and garlic. Stir in the pepper, salt and crushed red pepper. Add in the kale and stir until it wilts. Add in the potatoes, chicken stock and cooked sausage. Simmer until potatoes are cooked through. Check the seasonings and adjust to your taste.
Original recipe with much nicer pictures can be found here.